Iím sure youíve seen the dire reports about childhood
obesity becoming rampant in America. Itís a scary thing and not an experience
any of us wish upon our children. Preventing obesity can be easy and empowering
for children. Give them control over their bodies. Teach them to tune in
to their real needs and to treat themselves with love and respect.
1) Allow children to be in charge of which foods they
2) Make all foods equal and teach kids to check in with
their bodies and choose foods based on what their bodies are asking for.
3) Encourage them to know when they are full and to stop
eating at that point.
4) Let them eat according to their own hunger patterns
rather than according to external schedules.
5) De-emphasize body shape and weight. Encourage kids
to love and accept their bodies unconditionally.
6) Help them find fun ways to move and play so they get
plenty of enjoyable exercise every day.
7) Love them unconditionally and donít make derogatory
comments about their looks or weight.
8) Be sure they never get started on the damaging cycle
of dieting and bingeing.
9) Let food just be fuel for the body. Donít turn it into
a reward or save certain things to be special treats.
10) Teach them to honor other people and not tease or
make fun of others who are fat.
Adults who want to lose weight through intuitive eating
are encouraged to eat like a two year-old child. The most effective thing
we can do to prevent childhood obesity is help children stay in touch with
their bodies and honor its needs.
About The Author
©2006 Nancy Hill has helped thousands break free
from the nightmare of dieting with her ebook, "Undieting - 11 Simple Steps
to Reclaim Your Body and Your Life." Get your free Undieting Newsletter
and discover how intuitive eating makes it easy to live at your ideal weight
without ever dieting again.